A few years ago I worked at the consignment shop on our Air Force Base. We had an entire room dedicated to uniforms that were donated to the store. The room was filled to capacity, and we had to get rid of some of the older or worn out pieces. We were directed to destroy the uniforms, so no one could grab them and impersonate a member of the Military. Before dumping them, I removed the buttons.
I just knew that eventually the right idea would jump into my head. I used a few buttons on a few projects… a pony tail holder, necklace and earrings, etc.
Finally, that big project jumped at me! I used the buttons to make a “B” for our wall! I LOVE it! I want to paint (maybe a dry rub) around the border, but B likes it the way it is. I am sure I will win, in the end!
While the paint was drying (and for the next couple of hours) I pulled, poked, cut, beat up, and anything else I had to do, to remove the shanks from the back of the buttons. Some snapped of very easily, and others took 20 minutes or more. I have no idea what those were made of.
To be brutally honest, the next day, my hand was killing me. I could barely close my hand, and I could not grip anything for a few days. Luckily, I cut with my right hand, and write with my left!
I printed a B that I liked, and traced it onto the board.
Finally, I hot glued he buttons into the outline of the B.
And… for your viewing enjoyment-