Tag Archives: decorations

Button B on Made It Monday!

Standard

A few years ago I worked at the consignment shop on our Air Force Base. We had an entire room dedicated to uniforms that were donated to the store. The room was filled to capacity, and we had to get rid of some of the older or worn out pieces. We were directed to destroy the uniforms, so no one could grab them and impersonate a member of the Military. Before dumping them, I removed the buttons.

I just knew that eventually the right idea would jump into my head. I used a few buttons on a few projects… a pony tail holder, necklace and earrings, etc.

Finally, that big project jumped at me! I used the buttons to make a “B” for our wall! I LOVE it! I want to paint (maybe a dry rub) around the border, but B likes it the way it is. I am sure I will win, in the end!

 


I painted a board (leftover piece of shelving) in a blue that was as close as I could get to the uniform color.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

While the paint was drying (and for the next couple of hours) I pulled, poked, cut, beat up, and anything else I had to do, to remove the shanks from the back of the buttons. Some snapped of very easily, and others took 20 minutes or more. I have no idea what those were made of.

To be brutally honest, the next day, my hand was killing me. I could barely close my hand, and I could not grip anything for a few days. Luckily, I cut with my right hand, and write with my left!

I printed a B that I liked, and traced it onto the board.

Finally, I hot glued he buttons into the outline of the B.

 

And… for your viewing enjoyment-

 

Sticking With the Owl Theme

Standard

While my nieces were here for a week, we were burdened with some bad weather, and spent a lot of our time crafting. They went home with a gallery (literally, they created a gallery to tour their parents through) of projects.  Some I did with them, others I just helped them with.

One of the ones I did was this owl. We purchased $3 picture frames, and painted on the glass. We used acrylic paint. We printed drawings that we liked, and taped them to the frame. The hardest part of this project is making sure that you paint things in the right order. Think of it like layers of color, making sure that you paint the outlines and details first, then do the backgrounds and bigger spaces later.

If I had better color walls in my house, I would have left the glass clear, and let the wall be the back drop. However, we have very dull color walls, and my owl looked bad in front of all of them!  So, I painted it blue, and hung my owl in front of my owl fabric on the wall.

 

So, enjoy. 🙂

If you have questions, I can try to answer them!

Craft on!

J.

 

Reclaiming the Garage!

Standard

There will, of course, be a little bit of back story here. About 8 months after we got married, B was deployed to Saudi Arabia for about 5 months. At a total loss for what to buy him for our anniversary, I decided to have my brother-in-law (quite handy with the furniture building) build a bar for our garage. I designed something that I thought B would like, and called in the troops.  My sister, her husband, and my brother’s son all came down for a weekend. The great build took place in the garage that weekend. I was so excited. B loved the bar. Though, I am sure there would have been some changes had he been the designer… this is what he got. I had it made as mobile as possible, with casters and removable pieces, so that it could be pushed against the wall when not in use, or range anywhere from a 6 foot long straight bar to a 9 foot long L shaped bar.

OK… Fast Forward almost 3 1/2 years. We have used the bar exactly one time. This is mostly due to the fact that when I (yes, me) poured the resin top on the bar, I screwed it up. And frankly, we have been at a loss for what to do with it. So, the bar just sat in the garage collecting dust, and other things that had no other home in our house.

We recently decided that it was time to reclaim the garage, and the bar. So, today, we filled up the Mom Bomb with things to go to the dump or to Good Will. I filled up several large Rubbermaid bins with items for a yard sale. We filled the back of B’s H3 with items to be returned to his cousin when we make our trip to Michigan. There is still a fair-sized pile in the middle of the garage floor, holding most of my show stuff. (We will talk more about my shows later.) That pile is slowly being taken over by some of B’s stuff. He also has about 6 large bins of military gear to sort through, not to mention several that are filled with, what looks like, the contents from random drawers.

Anyway I am planning to do the yard sale in a couple of weeks. I hope before the end of September. I need to figure out how to get him to go through the bulk of that stuff before then.

Once we reclaim the space, we will be able to use the bar. The dart board is up. The bar decorations have come out of hiding, and are ready to be hung. I refuse to decorate before we get all of the crap out though!

If anyone feels the need to commit random acts of neatness on our garage, or anywhere else in our house, please, let me know!

In the mean time, there is at least enough space in the garage now to store the patio furniture, grill, and porch rockers, in the event that one of this years’ hurricanes comes anywhere near Charleston. Go us!

And… so starts another week.